Continental Mechelen produces both ABS system components for sister companies and fully finished ABS brake systems for cars delivered directly to the automobile sector. Their plant in Mechelen has always focused strongly on developing and manufacturing valves and sensors, and this has made it the go-to competence centre for valve production. Thanks to extensive automation, Mechelen Continental is able to produce more than 25 million sensors a year.
To accommodate an increase in volume, there was a need for a new production line for the ABS wheel sensors.
- To build a complete production line that is flexible enough to produce the various types of sensors.
- Suitable for both existing and new types
- The cycle time for making one sensor may not exceed three seconds
IMA has implemented a production line consisting of three parts:
- Design and construction of the assembly machine
- Integration of the injection moulding machine
- Design and construction of the testing machine
To meet the demand for a flexible machine, IMA used 6-axis robots for manipulations between successive operations. Six robots were used for each production line. The assembled product also undergoes a 100% quality check (camera inspection) before it goes to the next machine. This involves dimensional checks (functional dimensions are checked) and functional verification (simulation of the sensor in the vehicle by an extensive function test).
In addition to increasing the production capacity, this machine delivered greater flexibility and 100% quality control.
Vragen over machinebouw?
Joris helpt u graag verder!
Questions about Machine building?
Joris will gladly help you!